Saturday, April 6, 2013

"I know Your Name" (Exo 31-33)

He knows me and sees me
He knows my name and sees me indeed
Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: “See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, to design artistic works, to work in gold, in silver, in bronze, in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of workmanship.
 “And I, indeed I, have appointed with him Aholiab the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan; and I have put wisdom in the hearts of all the gifted artisans, that they may make all that I have commanded you:

Even in the crowds you know my name
As I prepared to write this issue I searched for "What's in a name? and came up with an interesting site which claims to know your personality if you type in your name. Of course I tried it and what it gave me was shocking! In a weird sort of way, most of what it said about my personality was not too far from the truth...You can try it for yourself clicking here.

Why is ones name so important and personal?... I think because calling someone by name says that I care about you, I know you or want to know you better. When someone calls your name you feel special, at home with them or valued by them.

So when I read our bible text today, I could not help noticing the beauty of what God tells Moses. The context of our passage lies in the beginning of a construction project. God has given his Law to Israel and now He wants to create a tent (Tabernacle) where He can live among His people. This tabernacle was to be made exactly according to God's direction because it was to look like God's other dwelling place in heaven (Heb 8:24a). Before the construction begins he calls out by name two men, Bezalel (whose name means "in the shadow of God") and his assistant Aholiab (whose name means "The Father's tent").

Before they were born, God gifted them with abilities to handle the unique task of making a dwelling place for Him on earth. He did not ask Moses to take on this project but He had already appointed men who will be able to carry it out with great ability and wisdom and also who will have the ability to teach others to do the same. *There are many instances in the Bible where God makes a big deal about peoples' Names, the word itself shows up about 1012 times. Maybe He is whispering to us that our Name is important and we certainly cannot disagree with that. I guess that is why some African cultures do not say out loud the name of their new born, until they have celebrated it in what is called, "Naming Ceremony".
God cares about every detail concerning your life
This story encourages me to know that the God of the universe knows not only the names of Bazalel, Ohaliab or Moses but He knows my name and He knows yours as well (Ps 139). He knows and cares about each one of us uniquely, and has gifted each of us to do a unique work on earth (1 Cor 12:7-11). Because there is no other you that has ever lived, be comforted that there is something special and unique that only you can do. In a world seeking for authenticity there is no more authentic You than You in the arms of God..."So be You" (2 Cor 3:18). 

This simple statement "Be You" takes a lot of courage to apply, because the world loves to tell us who we are, and they are often wrong. You face the increasing challenge to rise up and get the definition of your name from the one true God who created you. Just like Bezalel (in the shadow of God), your name lies in the very shadow of God Himself. He loves you and desires to have a personal relationship with you. So shine under the tent of God as you celebrate your Name and employ your unique gifts for the goodness of your world and the glory of your creator God (Eph 2:10). 

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold-(Prov 22:1)

If you desire to know more about your Spiritual gifts, strengths and unique personality try using these three resources out of many you can find for free online
Be comforted by Ps 139, knowing that you are unique and highly regarded by the God of the universe who knows your Name.Until next time, Read, Share and be comforted.

Ps 139

O Lord, you have examined my heart 
and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel
 and when I rest at home. You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
 even before I say it, Lord. You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head.. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too great for me to understand! I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me. I could ask the darkness to hide me
 and the light around me to become night
 but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to you.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
 and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; 
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!

O God, if only you would destroy the wicked!
Get out of my life, you murderers! They blaspheme you;
    your enemies misuse your name. O Lord, shouldn’t I hate those who hate you?
    Shouldn’t I despise those who oppose you? Yes, I hate them with total hatred,
for your enemies are my enemies.
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life
*Several passages in the bible that show that God"Knows your Name" (Isa 43:1-2, 49:1-26, Jhn 10:14-15, 10:3, Ps 9:14...) for a more complete list click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts, thanks.

My Testimony