Saturday, March 2, 2013

"Will you Passover me?" (Exo 12)


…It is the Lord’s Passover. ‘For I will pass through the land of Egypt on that night, and will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord. Now the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you; and the plague shall not be on you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt.(Exo 12:11-13)
Celebrating A Passover Sedar 
To passover anyone at first glance can seem to be a very unloving thing to do, but not in Exodus 12. This night culminates the very last plague in this incredible story of deliverance of the people of Israel from Egypt. God gives the command to the house of Israel, "Take the blood of a spotless lamb and smear on the door post of your house, then I will come down and kill every first born in the land but passover the homes with the blood of the lamb". So if I were an Israelite first born or an Egyptian for that matter, the only thing that will save my life is under the roof of a blood stained house. After witnessing the other 9 plagues God had performed in the land, I am guessing there was little doubt on all who heard this directive that this will happen just like God had said. 

But why did God have to kill the first born babies of Egypt it seems rather unfair? Why the blood of a spotless lamb? Why did God order this event to become a permanent feast of remembrance for Israel, what makes it so important? These are good questions I will attempt to answer and ask for your feedback.


Bible Lesson One of the ways God has chosen to reveal Himself to us is through stories. Like most stories a plot is progressively revealed once a problem has been identified. The plot in God's story found in the bible is being revealed to solve the problem of sin (evil) and death tormenting the world. This passover story is a shadow or a glimpse into the future of how God gets to solve the problems of the world (for details read "your beautiful"post). God reveals many shadows about His plan and nature all through the bible, the eager heart by His Spirit will see them. In addition blood in the bible signifies life (Lev 17:11), keep this in mind as you read. As said by John Thurmon, "God does nothing suddenly or without preparation"so expect that from His hand.
The importance of this story I think lies more so in its ability to point forward. This story acts as a shadow that points to the fullness of God's plan which happened thousands of years after, on a similar memorable day when another spotless, lamb Jesus Christ , was killed. Not for a nation but for the world, so that those who believe in Him will be "passover" from death into life (John 3:16). Christ's blood will be the sign for God's grace and not His judgement (Rom 3:23-26, Heb 9:11-15,). Those who do not believe in the salvation of Christ's blood alone, fall under the anger of a Holy God (John 3:36, Rom 1:18). Why is God angry?... Because of choices you and I have made which violate God's very character and the very reason you were created. So we are a people in need of God's mercy and grace which He has provided under the blood stained house of Christ.

Why was I created? To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.(Westminster Catechism-Isa 12:2,1Pet 2:9)
If you have never believed in this Christ I talk about, would you join Israel who on that night believed that the blood of the lamb will save them?...Can you dare to believe in a more perfect blood of God who saves you?... Just like on that night He will passover you on the day of judgement as an act of love? You ask, when is this day of judgement? It is when you die or when Christ returns which ever one comes first (Heb 9:27, Rev 22:7, 20). If all this seems too confusing, I will love to hear from you. My prayer is that you be comforted because the Lord sets you free this day if you would believe.

1 comment:

  1. Praise God because of christ blood He passes over my sinful ways and sees the Crimson stain of hope mercy & forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts, thanks.

My Testimony